ZTE’s corporate vision was redefined in 2018 to reflect its aspiration for society and intent to be a global leader in information and communications technology (ICT). These sentiments —”to enable connectivity and trust everywhere” and “to connect the world with continuous innovation for a better future” — and the company’s work therein was recently highlighted in its 2018 Sustainability Report.
Overall, ZTE is “dedicated to using innovative technologies to accelerate the development of information technology in the world, promoting the sustainable development of human society and the continuous progress of human civilization.”
Environmental considerations are integrated in the advanced management processes and quality standards that drive design and operation. The company seeks to constantly improve the energy efficiency of its products to reduce carbon emissions to allow customers to make better choices and minimize their own impact.
Three achievements in this area include: the Asian IDC Green Power Award, start of construction of the Energy Management Center System and the introduction of a three-level energy management task force.
A Look at the Lifecycle
Environmentally-friendly development is a core concept throughout the lifecycle of product development — from customer demand, product design/R&D, raw material verification, product fabrication, product distribution and product recycling and disposal.
- Customer demand: Specific properties are defined to meet regional environmental regulations and any sustainability requirements a customer may have.
- Product design/R&D: Durable materials are given priority to reduce the material consumption.
- Raw material verification: Strict controls around the environmental compliance of raw materials are in place through the company’s own green laboratory.
- Product fabrication: Strict environment-friendly production specifications and their implementation are reviewed by a professional team on a regular basis.
- Product distribution: Information on recycling channels of waste and used products is provided.
- Product recycling and disposal: A product recycling network has been established and the process is integrated therein: including collection, storage, disassembly, testing, maintenance and disposal of waste.
Low-energy services are also a top priority. The company implements green production and management practices according to ISO14001 Environmental Management System and ISO50001 Energy Management System and emphasizes energy conservation and emission reduction in its operations and products.
Sustainability from the Outside In
ZTE recognizes that sustainable development is also dependent on the broader ecosystem. To that end, it takes a “safe, precise, intelligent, reliable and efficient (SPIRE)” approach to its supply chain and has strengthened cooperation in environmental protection, disputed resources, labor protection and other aspects.
To learn more about ZTE Corporation’s efforts in sustainability management, compliance strength, a responsible supply chain, workplace and community betterment, read the full report.